As someone who is about to change campuses to USC Columbia, you are probably experiencing some conflicting emotions. You are excited about entering a new phase in your life, but you are also a little apprehensive. Be assured that this is very normal. Many people are resistant to change-even good change.

The purpose of this guide is to make changing campuses a little easier. The more information you have, the less difficult the transition from campus to campus will be. We will introduce you to resources and contacts that can help you understand the change-of-campus process and make you comfortable on your new campus. Remember, however, you are a unique individual with unique needs and concerns. Use this guide to answer your questions and to find the best source for further information and any other help you may need.

The Horseshoe

Quick Tips: Getting Started with this Guide

This guide contains the best information available for University of South Carolina system students. Consider it a 'front gate' that contains focused information for you as a system transfer, leading to easier, more productive navigation of the University's Web site. However, there is quite a bit of information to absorb as well as more detailed information that could not be included. To address this situation, we suggest the following as a way to 'jump start' your information search and interactions with USC Columbia:

Bookmark the 'Current Students' link from the USC Web Site-sc.edu/currentstudents. The 'Quick Links' part of this page should prove to be invaluable to you.

Get ready to use VIP even more than you have done at the campus you are leaving. You'll use VIP for almost every transaction you can think of: checking grades, registering, paying bills, checking financial aid, changing your address, applying for housing, etc.

Please know it is assumed that you are using your University-assigned e-mail address (_____@mail.sc.edu). You may not have used this address while at your campus, so you will need to make sure it is set up properly. You can do so after logging on to VIP and visiting two of your 'files.' Once logged in to VIP, click on 'Technology' and then 'Show Me' Network Username (example: wilsonj). By simply adding '@mailbox.sc.edu' to the end of your user name, you now know what your official USC e-mail is. Now return to the main VIP page and click on 'Personal' and then 'Online Directory Data and Alias.' See if the e-mail name listed is 'username@mailbox.sc.edu' (example: wilsonj@mailbox.sc.edu). If so, you're all set. If not, click on the 'Go to Update Form' and correct. You should now be good to go!

Pay attention to the 'Datebook/Dates to Remember' section. While your needs and timetables will be unique, this page reflects the many different areas and due dates you'll need to keep in mind. Note that we have focused on a 'spring to fall' change. We highly encourage this timing as opposed to a midyear change, primarily because of the shorter window of time to address the additional costs of USC Columbia and available and accessible financial aid.

When contacting Columbia by phone or e-mail, state that you are a system transfer. Generally speaking, you enjoy a different status than a 'regular' transfer, and this needs to be known. Also, when e-mailing or leaving a voice message, consider including the last four numbers of your Social Security number in your message. This really helps those you're trying to reach to research your situation prior to getting back with you.

Persist, politely-the culture here at Columbia is one that rewards those who are assertive in their pursuit for information. Don't wait too long to inquire about an action you've initiated or assume that things are taking care of themselves. Follow up in what you think is a reasonable amount of time, politely asking with whom you are talking and what represents a reasonable amount of time to hear back from someone. Keep good notes of your inquiries.

Finally, if you have determined that you have put in maximum effort on your own to get the information/action you need, and you have not met with the success you desired, please contact David Hunter at dhunter@sc.edu or 803-777-9450.

How You Fit In

Before going any further, it is important to understand how the University classifies you as a student. In order to understand your relationship to the University of South Carolina, you first must understand how the University works.

The University is made up of four regional campuses that emphasize the first two years of study, three four-year institutions, and USC Columbia, which offers extensive undergraduate and graduate studies. The Columbia campus offers a huge array of learning opportunities, many of which are very specialized. Due to this specialization, faculty and staff at the Columbia campus tend to be more focused in specific areas and therefore may be less aware of issues affecting other USC campuses and their students. However, once you have chosen a major and entered a college or school, you will find that personal attention is always readily available.

What's in a Name?

You're also a challenge in terms of what to call you! You probably refer to yourself as a 'transfer,' and doing so is fine. However, please know that you do not actually transfer to USC Columbia; instead, you change campuses. As a result, we refer to you by rather odd descriptors such as 'changee,' 'migrator,' 'relocator,' or, in a concession to practicality if not correctness, 'system transfer.' While worrying about what you are called may seem silly, it denotes concern for your status as part of the USC system. Perhaps the most important aspect of this distinction is that you do not apply (that is, file an application with USC Columbia admissions) when you decide to come to Columbia. Instead, you go to your campus' registrar's office and complete a change-of-school form. Your eligibility to do so is addressed below.


In order to change campuses to USC Columbia, you must be eligible. Eligibility is based upon the requirements of the college from which you desire to obtain a degree.

Columbia has 10 colleges and schools that offer undergraduate degrees, and many of these colleges and schools contain two or more departments. Each college and school sets its own requirements for acceptance. The requirements and contacts for each college and school are listed in the 'USC Columbia Majors, Advisors, and Requirements' section. Your change-of-school request is generally reviewed on two major points: your grade point average and the number of credit hours you have earned at the time you submit your change-of-school form.


The following is a general schedule of the change-of-campus process for the student switching schools in the fall, since that is the most popular time to change, and assumes you are eligible to have your change of campus request accepted as soon as it is submitted. Under this assumption, you probably will not have to attend an orientation. Some students, however, are not eligible until the completion of the spring semester, so if this applies to you, please carefully review the orientation information. For a spring change of campus, simply view the datebook as a series of sequential activities to be completed during the course of the semester. These dates and activities are also compiled in the 'Dates to Remember' chart below. A narrative concerning some of these dates follows. The 'Numbers to Know' and 'Web Sites to Know' charts in the back of this guide list additional contacts.

Dates to Remember

January/February Make known your intent to change campuses to Columbia to your campus admissions/records office, as well as, if appropriate, the USC Columbia financial aid office. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) immediately. Mid-January Housing applications available online. See 'Housing' for details. March Arrange advisement with USC Columbia advisor. April Complete scheduling. April 1 Priority application date for need-based financial aid. Early April Notification of financial aid awards begins. April 14 Registration opens. May 1 Priority application date for housing applications submitted by system students. May 29 Orientation program, if applicable (for those enrolling beginning Summer I) June Submit application for a parking garage space (if desired). June 10, 23, 30 Orientation programs (if applicable) Early June Notification of housing assignments begins. Mid-July Payment brochures mailed; charges for fall semester due prior to beginning of classes in August. University academic fee information is available through the bursar's Web site at sc.edu/bursar. August 17 Orientation program (if applicable)

Starting Out

In January, inquire in your campus admission/records office about filling out a 'change-of- campus' form.

Financial Aid

Check with your campus financial aid office in January and let them know that you are changing campuses. While you are considered to be a current USC student for registration and advisement purposes, your financial aid works as it would for a transfer student. For more information, check the financial aid Web site at sc.edu/financialaid or call 803-777-8134.


Housing applications are available online through https://vip.sc.edu beginning mid-January. This office is the only place you may obtain the paper applications. Go to the 'Personal' menu to apply. A tutorial for completing the application is available at www.housing.sc.edu/future.asp. Click on 'Apply for Housing.' A print piece, the Housing Preview Book, is also available from your campus registrar's office. You, as a system student, have priority status if you submit your application by May 1. After May 1, assignments will be made based on availability and the date received. You must be accepted into a USC Columbia college/school in order to file an electronic application. Campus housing is limited, but students are encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible to increase chances of getting requested rooms. A nonrefundable application fee of $45 is required, as is an additional $100 deposit that will be applied toward the cost of the room. More information on housing is available in the section titled 'On- or Off-Campus Living.' Also check the Web site at www.housing.sc.edu.


March and early April are the times to make arrangements for advisement and to determine what courses you will need to take. See the section titled 'USC Columbia Majors, Advisors, and Requirements' for a list of USC Columbia advisors.


April is the time to take care of scheduling and registration. Unlike advisement, when you determine what courses you need to take, scheduling means choosing the days and times of those courses. You may view the most current online course listings at registrar.sc.edu (click on the 'Master Schedule' link). Registration happens after completing advisement and scheduling. Once you are accepted into a college or school, have been advised, and have figured out your schedule, you can register online at https://vip.sc.edu beginning April 14, 2009.

Required Stuff

Your change of location (and thus status) in the USC system will generate the need to submit information that, depending on several factors, you may have already supplied to your previous campus. We apologize if this is the case, but the complexities of state, federal, and University policy renders this so. Therefore, be prepared to submit/resubmit, upon request, information concerning the following: n Residency n Immunization n Alcohol Survey (My Student Body) n Citizenship. Additionally, you may need to take placement tests in a foreign language and/or mathematics. While these tests are offered prior to the beginning of each semester, we encourage you to talk to your Columbia advisor before taking them.


If you have completed your fall registration before the scheduled billing in July, you will receive a brochure with payment instructions and other pertinent information. It will be mailed to your permanent address. For complete information about accepted forms of payment and deadlines, check the Web site at www.sc.edu/bursar.


USC Columbia is an urban campus, and parking can be problematic. Here are some tips that can help make parking just a little easier. - Live within walking distance of your classes. This can be accomplished by living on campus or securing an apartment nearby. - Obtain a parking permit and schedule your classes at other than prime time. This means early morning (as in 8 a.m.) and/or afternoon classes. You will be hard pressed to find a space for classes between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. - Reserve a spot in one of the University's garages or reserved lots. These spaces are issued on a first-come, first-served basis and must be applied for a semester in advance (by the beginning of June for the fall semester and by mid-November for the spring semester). Contact Parking Services for exact dates and availability at 803-777-5160. - Park on the periphery of campus (e.g., Coliseum, Bates House) and either walk or use the University shuttle. University shuttles arrive every 10 minutes at designated stops. For additional information or to register for the lottery, please check the parking services Web site at www.sc.edu/vmps.

On- or Off-Campus Living

Living on campus is a great way to meet new friends and enjoy the fullest USC experience, without the hassles of commuting. USC offers apartments and suites, as well as traditional style residence halls with shared facilities. All residence halls have cable TV and high-speed Internet service. In addition, some buildings offer special features, such as laundry rooms, dining services, computer labs, and classrooms.

Students often ask which residence hall is the best. The answer is that there is no best hall, only a hall that best suits your needs. Visitation rules, cost, and proximity to your classes are all important issues to consider when choosing a campus residence hall.

Students often wish to request a specific roommate. Columbia housing does its best to honor requests, but it may not always be possible. If you have a roommate request and a specific hall you wish to live in, denote on the application which is more important to you-getting the hall you desire or living with the person you requested.

Our newest residence hall on campus is the Green Quad. This facility houses approximately 500 students in apartments with private bedrooms. All bedrooms have cable outlets and data lines. Green Quad is a national model for the design and implementation of environmentally friendly residential learning communities.

You may also wish to consider Preston Residential College. This is a living and learning experience in which a faculty member, the principal, resides full time with students. An additional 40 faculty associates use offices and common rooms and dine with the students in order to create academic relationships beyond the classroom.

The Columbia campus also has housing for married students and an office to provide special services. If you would like more information about this, please contact Family and Graduate Housing at 803-777-4571.

If you wish to live off campus, the Department of Student Life can provide you with all sorts of information. The office will not find you off-campus housing, but it does provide information about units available to students, including average costs, locations, and important information about contracts and leases. Visit www.sa.sc.edu/css for information. Housing for summer sessions is plentiful. Call 803-777-4283 for information.


On-campus dining offers many options. Visit www.sc.edu/dining for information concerning the various eating establishments and meal plans available at USC Columbia. Even if you don't plan to live on campus, you may still want to look into meal plan information.


As a current college student, you are well aware of the cost of textbooks. The University Bookstore, run by Barnes & Noble, at the Russell House University Union is our on-campus bookstore, and a portion of their proceeds comes back to the University in the form of scholarship money. There are also nearby off-campus bookstores, as well as online resources, for you to check out. Ask a friend who has made the change for recommendations.

Student Health Services

Programs and Services

Student Health Services provides on-campus medical, mental health, ancillary, and health and wellness services for students. Services include (1) convenient and accessible ambulatory primary care at clinics and ancillary services (pharmacy, X-ray, physical therapy, and lab) at the Thomson Student Health Center; (2) counseling, testing, and psychological and psychiatric services available at the Counseling and Human Development Center; and (3) wellness-oriented programs and educational services on issues such as sexual assault and violence prevention. All Student Health Services facilities are fully accredited by nationally recognized professional organizations.

For more information about Student Health Services and all that includes, visit www.sa.sc.edu/shs.

Eligibility and Fees

For information on eligibility and fees, please go to the Student Health Services Web site, www.sa.sc.edu/shs, and click on either 'Eligibility' or 'Insurance & Billing.'

Immunization Requirement

All Columbia campus students must prove immunity to measles (rubeola) and German measles (rubella). Students must also show evidence of 2 measles, mumps, and rubeola shots. You must submit a properly completed USC Immunization Requirement Form to the Thomson Student Health Center. In addition, all students age 24 and under must show proof of immunization for meningitis. Instructions and the mailing address are on the form. You can pick up a form at your campus admissions/records office or download one from the Student Health Services Web site. You cannot register for classes until have submitted the form, proven immunity, and received an immunization clearance. It is recommended that you keep a copy of all immunization records with you. Visit the Student Health Services Web site, www.sa.sc.edu/shs, for more information, or call the Immunization Office at 803-777-9511.

Health Insurance

Payment of all health care charges, either on or off campus, is your responsibility. A costly health care episode can interfere with your ability to meet your educational goals. It is strongly recommended you be covered by health insurance. USC does not sell health insurance but does sponsor a plan that offers enrolled students the opportunity to purchase coverage under an affordable, sound student health insurance plan.

USC requires that all full-time graduate students (9 hours or more), all graduate assistants, and all international students carry health insurance. All affected students will be billed for the USC-sponsored plan. Graduate assistants who are covered under the University-sponsored plan receive premium stipends from the University. Students affected by the USC health insurance requirement must either have acceptable other coverage or receive a waiver to avoid paying insurance premiums. If you do not waive the health insurance premium, you will be billed for the USC-sponsored plan. Health insurance waivers can be processed at www.studentinsurance.com. If you wish to purchase the USC-sponsored plan, you may also set up your health insurance account at www.studentinsurance.com. For more information on health insurance, the USC-sponsored plan, and how to obtain a waiver, go to the Student Health Services Web site (www.sa.sc.edu/shs).

Disability Services

The Office of Disability Services provides services and accommodations to meet the varying needs of students with disabilities at the University. Students need to register to determine services available to them. Visit www.sa.sc.edu/sds.

Placement Tests

The University of South Carolina requires all students to have a foreign language proficiency in order to graduate. If you have not taken a foreign language in college and it has been less than five years since you last took a foreign language in high school, you are required to take the USC foreign language placement test. Additionally, the USC mathematics placement test is required for students who have not already taken a mathematics course while enrolled in college. The only exception for both placement tests stated above would be if you took a foreign language and/or mathematics Advanced Placement exam while in high school and scored a three or above. For additional information concerning USC placement tests, please contact USC Columbia's Office of Student Orientation and Testing Services at 803-777-2782, or visit their Web site at orientation.sc.edu/pt.htm.


Once you have been accepted by USC Columbia and received advisement, you should continue to use USC's online registration system, VIP, just as you currently do now. Using any Web browser on your computer, you may: view the USC Columbia Master Schedule of Classes (available in early March at registrar.sc.edu), check your registration appointment time, register, change your schedule, check your fees, check the status of your financial aid application, apply financial aid and scholarship awards to your bill, view and print out your class schedule, view your grades, and pay your fees via American Express, MasterCard, Discover Card, or electronic check. To access VIP, direct your browser to https://vip.sc.edu. You may also check your registration eligibility on VIP.

Getting Established on Campus


Depending on when you are eligible to be accepted and the policy of the college/school that houses your major, you may need to attend a Transfer Orientation program (offered in June, August, and January). Check the orientation Web site at orientation.sc.edu for dates and other details. If you have been accepted and advised, you do not have to attend a session.

Learn How to Get Around

Orientation does not include a campus tour, but the Visitor Center (803-777-0169 or www.sc.edu/visitor) provides guided tours and maps for self-guided tours. You might also make plans to visit friends who are Columbia students. Someone already well-acquainted with the campus is your best resource. Another good idea is to grab a friend or family member and a map and walk around campus before the semester starts, noting where all your classes will be, places to grab a snack, etc. If you just can't make it to campus in time to take a tour or make up your own, take the virtual tour at www.sc.edu/virtualtour. And finally, check out services for transfers. Go to www.sa.sc.edu/ssc/transfer.htm for more information, paying special attention to the Transfer Mentoring Program.

Take Advantage of Other Resources

Your academic success at USC Columbia is something we take very seriously. And we're constantly working on new ways to help you get the most out of your college experience. A great Web site to check out is www.sc.edu/academicsuccess. Here you'll be able to formulate a game plan for your college years, learn about topics such as academic advising and tutoring, figure out rules concerning your GPA, and peruse a list of offices and programs that cover a wide variety of topics and interests.

University 101

Another introduction to campus life is the University 101 course. A special session of this course is offered for transfer students. All change-of-campus students who have not already taken the course are eligible and encouraged to enroll. The only stipulation is that enrollment must occur during the first semester at Columbia. The course focuses on making the most of the University experience and offers guidance on everything from study skills to roommate troubles. This graded class is worth three credit hours. Plan on discussing University 101 with your USC Columbia advisor. To learn more about University 101, go to the Web site at www.sc.edu/univ101.

Academic Success and Help

Study after study assessing student success has confirmed the importance of actively engaging with your new campus in ways other than just classes. Here are a few of the many programs and activities designed to assist you in taking full advantage of USC Columbia and manage your time, resources, studies, and finances while still having fun! Remember, you're paying a good bit more to attend USC Columbia, so take advantage of what you're paying for.

Student Success Center

This center helps students transition effectively during their first year at Carolina and develops skills that students need to achieve their goals. For more information, visit www.sa.sc.edu/ssc.

Supplemental Instruction (SI) helps students succeed in classes that are traditionally among the toughest, and many of these classes are taken during a student's first year or are required in order to progress in an academic major. SI sessions are lead by undergraduates who have excelled in the course. For more information, go to www.sa.sc.edu/supplementalinstruction.

Free academic tutoring is available to all University students for historically difficult classes such as chemistry, biology, math, and other select 100-, 200-, and 300-level courses. You can also request tutoring in other specific study areas. For more information, go to www.sa.sc.edu/ssc/tutoring.htm.

Academic Centers for Excellence

Academic Centers for Excellence, located in several places on campus, are the place to go for writing consultation, math tutoring, time management and note-taking skills, and much more that will contribute to your academic success. For more information, check out www.housing.sc.edu/ace.

The Writing Center offers free consultations to University students, faculty, and staff. For more information, visit www.cas.sc.edu/write.

The Math Tutoring Center, located in LeConte College, offers assistance to any student enrolled in a 100-level mathematics course.


Many change-of-campus students come to Columbia concerned about work opportunities. The campus and surrounding community provide many jobs if you know how to look. While there is no single office that can show you every job available, you can find help in several areas.

The Career Center on the Columbia campus provides programs and services to assist students in clarifying career goals and developing marketable skills for full-time employment after graduation. Students can test and develop transferable skills with cooperative education, internships, part-time (and non-work-study) and seasonal employment, and job shadowing. For more information, visit the Career Center on the 6th floor of the Moore School of Business building, call 803-777-7280, or access their Web site at www.sc.edu/career. Then register with JobMate to locate employment opportunities.

The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships Web site, www.sc.edu/financialaid, describes the Federal Work-Study program and lists job opportunities for eligible students.

Also, check with faculty and staff members at your current campus, as well as those you meet when you start classes in Columbia; they may be aware of on-campus employment opportunities not listed elsewhere.

Student Life (Activities/Organizations)

Getting involved in student organizations can make the change of campus process smoother and more enjoyable. Being part of a student group offers chances to make friends and to get involved in the USC Columbia community. USC Columbia has more than 300 different student organizations. The Office of Student Government and Student Organizations serves as the clearinghouse for all registered groups, and they can help you find organizations that interest you. For a list of active groups and more information check the student organizations Web site at web.sa.sc.edu. You'll find information about honor societies, sports clubs, Greek life, student government, residence hall government, religious groups, professional organizations, even military and political groups. The Office of Student Government and Student Organizations can be found in Room 227 of the Russell House or on the Internet at www.sg.sc.edu. Feel free to call 803-777-2654 with any questions. An excellent Web site link to the exaustive array of services and programs of USC Columbia's Division of Student Affairs can be found at www.sa.sc.edu/departments.htm.


You can obtain a USC Columbia ID (called a CarolinaCard) by going to the CarolinaCard Office in the basement of the Russell House University Union. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. M-F. Additional information about a CarolinaCard is found at CarolinaCard.sc.edu.

Looking Forward

We understand that you are probably a little apprehensive about coming to Columbia. As a group, change-of-campus students do well, and your current GPA is a close indicator of what your performance may continue to be. You have wonderful experiences ahead of you. Enjoy the possibilities and opportunities presented to you. This guide can help make changing campuses easier, but you are the key to making it all work. Good luck!

Too Much? There Are Other Options.

Now that you've explored the move to USC Columbia, is something just not right? We want you to take advantage of the entire USC system, and that may entail staying at your campus a bit longer than you initially thought. Please know that as long as the campus can offer you the course work you need to progress toward your degree, this is completely fine. Also, did you know that at the four regional campuses (Lancaster, Salkehatchie, Sumter, and Union) you can earn a baccalaureate degree from USC without leaving that campus? You can! These campuses offer the Bachelor of Liberal Studies, an interdisciplinary degree awarded by USC Columbia. There are also plans to offer a Bachelor of Organizational Leadership in the near future. Students at these campuses are encouraged to talk to campus officials if interested.

USC Columbia Numbers to Know

  • Student Life
    • 803-777-5782
    • fax: 803-777-4874
  • Career Center (Student Employment)
    • 803-777-7280
    • fax: 803-777-7556
  • Counseling and Human Development Center
    • 803-777-5223
    • fax: 803-777-5433
  • Dining
    • 803-777-6339
    • fax: 803-777-6601
  • Disability Services
    • 803-777-6142
    • fax: 803-777-6741
  • Financial Aid
    • 803-777-8134
    • fax: 803-777-0941
  • Financial Services (Bursar)
    • 803-777-4233
    • fax: 803-777-7953
  • Housing
    • 803-777-4283
    • fax: 803-777-4349
  • Family and Graduate Housing
    • 803-777-4571
    • fax: 803-777-7861
  • Room Assignments
    • 803-777-4283
    • fax: 803-777-4349
  • Off-Campus Housing Services
    • 803-777-3366
    • fax: 803-777-1125
  • Student Health Services
    • 803-777-3175
    • fax: 803-777-0126
  • Immunization
    • 803-777-9511
    • fax: 803-777-3955
  • Orientation and Testing Services (Placement)
    • 803-777-2780
    • fax: 803-777-9065
  • Parking
    • 803-777-5160
    • fax: 803-777-4325
  • Registration
    • 803-777-5555
    • fax: 803-777-6349
  • Student Government and Student Organizations
    • 803-777-2654
    • fax: 803-777-7132
  • System Affairs Office (general info and assistance)
    • 803-777-7695
    • fax: 803-777-8840
  • Thomson Student Health Center
    • 803-777-3175
    • fax: 803-777-0126

USC Columbia Web Sites to Know

An extremely good site to access is sc.edu/currentstudents. The 'Quick Links' section is an excellent place to begin navigating USC Columbia's Web site.

If you need further assistance, please contact:
David Hunter, System Affairs Office: 803-777-7695
Desk/Voice Mail: 803-777-9450; Fax: 803-777-8840
E-mail: dhunter@sc.edu

You can also find us on Facebook. Just search for 'Transfer to USC Columbia.'

USC Columbia Majors, Advisors, and Requirements

Note: All telephone numbers are area code 803. Please check Web site for more extensive content and contact information.

Click to show details

  • College of Arts and Sciences
  • Moore School of Business
  • College of Education
  • College of Engineering and Computing
  • Health
  • Health Profession Majors
  • South Carolina Honors College
  • College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management
  • College of Mass Communications and Information Studies
  • School of Music
  • College of Nursing
  • South Carolina College of Pharmacy
  • Arnold School of Public Health
  • Colleges and Schools Not Offering Undergraduate Degrees

College of Arts and Sciences www.cas.sc.edu

A student who wishes to enter the College of Arts and Sciences from another USC campus must fulfill one of the following sets of requirements:

  1. Be in good standing, meet the admission requirements for a baccalaureate degree on the Columbia campus, and have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher.
  2. Be in good standing and have completed 30 semester hours with a GPA of 2.00 or higher on a USC campus.

Some programs in the College of Arts and Sciences have special admission requirements established by the department or committee that supervises the specific degree program, for example, cardiovascular technology, biology, chemistry, the Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies, and the Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies. See the USC Columbia Undergraduate Studies Bulletin (www.sc.edu/bulletin/ugrad/index.html) or contact the appropriate department or program for more information.

Health professions majors intending to enter a medical institution in a health-related profession after attending USC should seek the guidance of Eileen Korpita (777-5581) after initial advisement in their major.

Curriculum Area I

777-2993, fax: 777-1302

Undergraduate Academic Affairs

Ms. Rebecca Cole cole@mailbox.sc.edu
(system student contact for Beaufort, Lancaster, Union, and Upstate)
Ms. Joanne Thompson thompson@mailbox.sc.edu
(system student contact for Aiken, Salkehatchie, and Sumter)

Students must be approved for admission to the college and their transcripts evaluated prior to making contact with individual departments or programs.

  • African American Studies
  • Anthropology
  • Art Education
  • Art History
  • Art Studio
  • Classical Studies
  • Comparative Literature
  • Criminology and Criminal Justice
  • Dance
  • Economics
  • English
  • European Studies
  • Film and Media Studies
  • French
  • Geography
  • German
  • History
  • International Studies
  • Interdisciplinary Studies
  • Italian
  • Latin American Studies
  • Media Arts
  • Philosophy
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Religious Studies
  • Russian
  • Sociology
  • Spanish
  • Theatre
  • Women's and Gender Studies

Curriculum Area II

777-2505, fax: 777-9385
  • Undergraduate Office
  • Biological Sciences
    • Dr. Robert Lawther
      • 777-6792
  • Chemistry and Biochemistry
    • Dr. Mike Dukes
      • 777-5264
  • Geological Sciences
    • Dr. Camelia Knapp
      • 777-8491
  • Marine Science
    • Dr. Joseph Quattro
      • 777-3240
  • Mathematics
    • Dr. Douglas B. Meade
      • 777-6183
  • Cardiovascular Technology
    • Ms. Cammie Steele
      • 777-2505
  • Interdisciplinary Studies
    • Ms. Cammie Steele
      • 777-2505
  • Physics and Astronomy
    • Dr. Jeff Wilson
      • 777-4650
  • Statistics
    • Dr. Joshua Tebbs
      • 777-5163

Moore School of Business-http://mooreschool.sc.edu

777-2191, fax: 777-4342
  • Undergraduate Academic Affairs
    • Dr. Carolyn Jones
    • Mrs. Pam Lane
    • Ms. Meredith Bellamy
    • Ms. Libby Foreman
    • Ms. Lauren Kozlik
    • Ms. Melissa Lowe-international business contact
    • Mr. Brian Shelton
    • Ms. Elizabeth White-Hurst

Students from system campuses (other than Columbia) who have no academic work from colleges outside the USC system must have a GPA of 3.00 on all work taken and must have taken at least 15 USC credit hours and have completed MATH 122 with at least a 'C' before submission of a change-of-campus form. Additionally, system campus students who have fewer than 30 semester hours from colleges other than USC must also meet Columbia campus freshman admission requirements. Applications for the summer and fall semesters must be received by March 1. Applications for the spring semester must be received by October 1.

  • Accounting
  • Business Economics
  • Finance
  • Insurance and Economic Security
  • International Business (must apply separately once enrolled at USC Columbia)
  • Management
  • Management Science
  • Marketing
  • Real Estate

College of Education-http://www.ed.sc.edu

Department e-mail: teach@mailbox.sc.edu

Physical education students who have earned up to 40 semester hours of credit must have a minimum GPA of 2.25 (on a 4.00 scale) to enter preprofessional programs in physical education. Students who have earned more than 40 semester hours of credit must have a minimum GPA of 2.50 to enter preprofessional programs in physical education. (Note: A minimum GPA of 2.50 is required to enter the professional program in education [approximately junior-year status].)

Early childhood, elementary, and middle-level education students must be in good standing and have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher if they have completed 30 semester hours of credit or less or a GPA of 2.25 if they have more than 30 semester hours.

*Secondary education programs are graduate-level programs only.

College of Engineering and Computing-http://www.engr.sc.edu

Students must have a GPA of at least 2.50 on at least 15 hours earned at USC. The earned hours must include math at a level of at least MATH 141 with a grade of 'C' or better, and the majority of the earned USC hours must be creditable to an engineering degree.

Students with at least six hours in engineering courses must have a 2.20 GPA on all courses allowed toward an engineering degree and all engineering courses attempted. There must be at least 15 hours attempted including MATH 141 with a 'C' or better.

  • Chemical Engineering
  • Civil and Environmental Engineering
  • Computer Science and Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering

Health (see public health)

Health Profession Majors (see arts and sciences)

South Carolina Honors College-http://schc.sc.edu

  • Baccalaureus Artium et Scientiae
    • Dr. Davis Baird

To enroll in the South Carolina Honors College, students must first be accepted by a college on the Columbia campus, following normal change-of-campus procedures. Once the change-of-campus paperwork has been completed, a special Honors College admission application may be obtained from the South Carolina Honors College or from http://schc.sc.edu. Inquiries should be directed to Dr. Ed Munn Sanchez, Associate Dean, Harper Hall, USC, Columbia, SC 29208, telephone 576-5633. The South Carolina Honors College requires a minimum 3.50 GPA; all majors are considered. Students who meet the 3.50 GPA requirement will have their applications reviewed and will be assessed for writing and analytical skills by the SCHC Admissions Committee. The deadline for fall admission is May 1, and for spring the deadline is December 1.

College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management-www.hrsm.sc.edu

  • Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management
  • Technology Support & Training Management
  • Retail Management/Fashion Merchandising
  • Sport and Entertainment Management

In order to be admitted to the lower division, students must have a cumulative 2.00 GPA and be a regular admission. Students must have a 2.00 on 30 hours for branch specializations. In order to be admitted to the retail management or fashion merchandising programs or the Technology Support and Training Management Program, students must have completed the specified semester hours with a GPA of 2.25. In order to be admitted to the professional division of the Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management Program, in addition to the specified hours, a 2.20 GPA is required.

The Sport and Entertainment Management Program requires a minimum GPA of 2.50 for transfer into the major. Matriculation to the upper division and graduation also require this minimum GPA benchmark. This major serves a highly relationship- and competency-based customer industry. Accordingly, we require two internships that each last for at least 13 consecutive weeks, with a minimum of 40 hours each week. During these two internships, no other academic work may be taken as these will be 'total immersion experiences' in the portion of the industry in which the student would most like to work after graduation.

To receive the most benefit from this degree, students considering this major would be well advised to initially contact the director of advisement or the department chair. All prospective transfers are required to be in contact with the department, preferably in person, prior to submitting change-of-campus paperwork.

College of Mass Communications and Information Studies

School of Journalism and Mass Communications-www.jour.sc.edu

777-8528 , fax: 576-5656

Students interested in a degree in journalism and mass communications must select one of the following programs of study: advertising, electronic journalism, print journalism, public relations, or visual communications. Applications without a specified program of study will be returned.

Entrance Requirements-Admission is competitive, and students must have at least a cumulative GPA of 2.50 on USC course work and on all course work attempted elsewhere. Students should be prepared to take the Columbia campus version of the foreign language placement test. Students with fewer than 30 hours earned (i.e., completed, not in progress) must meet general University admission requirements as well.

Deadlines for Submission of Requests-Students changing campuses should submit change-of- campus requests, which must be received no later than the end of the fourth week of the spring term if the desired change is for the following summer or fall, or the fourth week of the fall term if the change is for the following spring semester. Change-of-school requests submitted after these times will not be acted upon until the end of the semester when grades are received and eligibility for acceptance can be verified.

Advisement-Students who have been admitted must attend an official group orientation session in the college for assessment, evaluation, advisement, and registration. These are usually held just prior to each term, with additional dates in the summer.

School of Library and Information Science-www.libsci.sc.edu

777-4028, fax: 777-7938

The School of Library and Information Science offers the Bachelor of Science in Information Science.

Entrance Requirements-Transfer students from regional campuses at the University must have a cumulative GPA of 2.50 on all academic course work attempted. They must take at least half of the information science course work in residence at the University of South Carolina Columbia. Students should be prepared to take the Columbia campus version of the foreign language placement test.

Deadlines for Submission of Requests-Students changing campuses should submit change-of-campus requests, which must be received no later than the spring semester midterm if the desired change is for the following summer or fall or no later than the fall midterm if the change is for the following spring semester. Change-of-school requests submitted after these times will not be acted upon until the end of the semester when grades are received and eligibility for acceptance can be verified.

Advisement-Students who have been admitted must meet with the undergraduate advisor to be advised. These meetings will be scheduled by appointment prior to each term and during the summer.

School of Music-www.music.sc.edu

- BA, BM (Performance, Theory, Composition, Jazz Studies, Music Education)

A student who wishes to enter the School of Music from another USC campus must be in good standing and either have met freshman admission requirements for a baccalaureate program on the Columbia campus or have completed 30 or more semester hours with at least a 2.00 GPA on another USC campus. Admission to the School of Music is not complete until a qualifying audition in the primary performance area has been accomplished.

College of Nursing-www.sc.edu/nursing

- BSN Degree 777-7113, fax: 777-0616

A minimum GPA of 2.75 on work at USC and/or collegiate summary is required. Students who have two grades below a 'C' in any required science or nursing courses applicable to the College of Nursing curriculum will not be eligible for admission. Students must meet admission requirements if less than 30 semester hours have been completed. Change-of-campus students are admitted to the lower division in nursing and must apply to progress to the upper division. Progression to the upper division is competitive and is limited to the most qualified applicants each fall.

South Carolina College of Pharmacy-www.cop.sc.edu orwww.sccp.sc.edu

- Pharm.D. (six-year) fax: 777-2775

Students interested in enrolling in the USC Columbia campus pre-pharmacy program must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 and at least 12 hours of college credit. A change-of-campus form must be submitted to the dean's office at the college for the student to be admitted to the pre-pharmacy program.

Admission to the professional program is a competitive process. Students must apply to the professional program by January 1 of each year for possible acceptance for that upcoming fall semester. Students are required to take the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT) as part of the application process. Students accepted to the program at the Columbia campus will be admitted through the College of Pharmacy and the USC registrar's office (no change-of-campus form will be required).

Arnold School of Public Health-www.sph.sc.edu

- Exercise Science

Students from other USC campuses must have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 and must have completed at least 12 USC credit hours. Additionally, students who have fewer than 30 semester hours must also meet Columbia campus freshman requirements.

Colleges and Schools Not Offering Undergraduate Degrees

School of the Environment-www.environ.sc.edu
School of Law-www.law.sc.edu
School of Medicine-www.med.sc.edu
College of Pharmacy- www.pharm.sc.edu
College of Social Work-www.sc.edu/cosw
Secondary education is a graduate-level degree only.